Here is something I can officially remove from my UFO list (unfinished objects) and into a place where I can enjoy it every day. It's called an Amish Breezy Day and it was a labor of love. I loved this counted-cross stitch kit when I saw it as a young girl because it reminded me of what I thought could actually have been my own grandmother hanging laundry with her children all around. Dad grew up in an Amish home but left as a teenager and joined the military. The Amish don't believe in taking pictures, so we don't have any idea of what he looked like as a child, so this gives me a generous ball-park picture of a typical day in the life of an Amish mother.
I remember the exact moment when I first started putting the stitches on the piece, it was in the upper-left corner of the blue quilt hanging on the line and we were visiting grandma for Christmas in 1986. It seemed like I would never finish but I kept at it, although sporadically, through the years and finally crossed the last stitches in the fall of 1999 when Jimmy and I were flying back to the states from Germany. It makes me smile when I look at it.
I remember the exact moment when I first started putting the stitches on the piece, it was in the upper-left corner of the blue quilt hanging on the line and we were visiting grandma for Christmas in 1986. It seemed like I would never finish but I kept at it, although sporadically, through the years and finally crossed the last stitches in the fall of 1999 when Jimmy and I were flying back to the states from Germany. It makes me smile when I look at it.


No comments:
Post a Comment